Editing Team Meeting 9/25/2019

Editing Team Meeting

Date | time 9/25/2019 11:00 AM| Location OL344

Meeting Notes:

Attendees: Dani, Mona, Justin, Cory

Regrets: Chris; Courtney

Note taker: Mona

  1. Editor’s website:
  • Log-in;
  • Review current content;
  • Collaborate;
  • Determine common objectives.
  1. Free online micro-course to master the basics of OER and Creative Commons:

Open Education, Copyright and Open Licensing in a Digital World (LiDA103)

  • Editors are welcome to attend;
  • Starts on October 7, 2019;
  • 2-week course, commit to 1–2 hours/day;
  • Negotiate with Naomi to use some work time;
  • Certificate earned upon completion;
  • Registration link: https://oer.nz/wcol2019
  1. Maintenance Courses:
  • Change to file version for Rachelle’s IP review: Moving forward, she will *always* review the edited version.
  • Editors to flag new/deleted 3-rd party materials for her attention;
  • Dani will share the edited files with Rachelle upon completion of peer review process.
  1. “One-offs” (those maintenance projects that *should* involve only one component of a course):
  • Be sure to check all materials that could be affected by the corrections/changes made;
  • Discussion was around accountability and transparency of the very narrowed scope.
  1. Internal Review
  • Discussion postponed to next meeting;
  • Consider what common issues occur in the process;
  • Consider scope: skim vs. total re-edit.
  1. Style considerations for each course/discipline:
  • Justin suggested adding that information in D4P2 in the notes section;
  • Advantage to next editor: reduction of time spent determining which style was deemed appropriate.

 

Editing Team Meeting 9/11/2019

Call to order: 10:30am

In attendance: Courtney Charlton, Naomi Cloutier, Dani Collins (Chair), Justin Frudd, Mona Hall, Paul Martin, Cory Stumpf, Chris Ward (scribe & time keeper)

Dani: Welcome and new meeting format

  • Call for note taker and time keeper: Chris
  • Call for review of process changes this summer
    • Chris: brief review of process changes
    • Discussion:
       lack of CMP (what info needed? can it be shared in D4P?)
       determining, negotiating, and communicating editing scope
       identifying and confirming course materials
       exam processes
       ProctorU

Courtney: “Using a Tempest in a Teapot to Separate the Wheat from the Chaff” presentation on plain language with examples from HIST course

  • Learners’ needs not served by misused and obscure terms: e.g., obduracy, abrogation, temporal turmoil, venal, jeremiad, etc.
  • Long, complex sentence structure obscures meaning.
  • Random or inconsistent capitalization, and dated racial/cultural terminology requires more time for editors to query or resolve.
  • Discussion:
     How to minimize problematic language without changing voice of writer?
      How to balance student needs, writer wants, time constraints?

Paul: Introductions; enrollment growth up 15%; potential of non-linear development processes with editors contributing or collaborating earlier

Group: Appreciative enquiry

Dani: Open call for agenda items for future meetings

Tabled for future:

  • Editing websites
  • Credentials: when to include designations and certs

Adjourned: 11:45am