Call to order: 10:30am
In attendance: Courtney Charlton, Naomi Cloutier, Dani Collins (Chair), Justin Frudd, Mona Hall, Paul Martin, Cory Stumpf, Chris Ward (scribe & time keeper)
Dani: Welcome and new meeting format
- Call for note taker and time keeper: Chris
- Call for review of process changes this summer
- Chris: brief review of process changes
lack of CMP (what info needed? can it be shared in D4P?)
determining, negotiating, and communicating editing scope
identifying and confirming course materials
Courtney: “Using a Tempest in a Teapot to Separate the Wheat from the Chaff” presentation on plain language with examples from HIST course
- Learners’ needs not served by misused and obscure terms: e.g., obduracy, abrogation, temporal turmoil, venal, jeremiad, etc.
- Long, complex sentence structure obscures meaning.
- Random or inconsistent capitalization, and dated racial/cultural terminology requires more time for editors to query or resolve.
How to minimize problematic language without changing voice of writer?
How to balance student needs, writer wants, time constraints?
Paul: Introductions; enrollment growth up 15%; potential of non-linear development processes with editors contributing or collaborating earlier
Group: Appreciative enquiry
Dani: Open call for agenda items for future meetings
Tabled for future:
- Editing websites
- Credentials: when to include designations and certs